Sunday, 14 September 2008

September is the real start of the football season

"IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness"

Dickens' 150 year-old text paints a pretty accurate picture of how many people viewed the footballing summer for Arsenal Football Club. Opinions ranged from utter doom, all the way to 'we're going to win the quadruple'.

I could have waded in and added my sixpence worth of views to the mix, but I didn't think it would add anything to the already over-flowing melting pot. Rather, I thought I would use the summer to reflect, observe, and ponder what the new season would bring. Our transfer dealings were reasonably astute, and with a real title-chase under our belts from last season, I would expect the young players to have progressed. I still believe that we have the best first team in the premiership, and that, you need a bit of luck to win trophies. As Daniel Finklestein put it yesterday in The Times you need a huge amount of luck to win trophies. Especially the Champions League.

The favourites have a 15% chance of winning it. Us: 10%. That is a healthy percentage - it puts us as 4th favourites, but it still means it's very unlikely we'll win the Champions League. Although my head says it should be our turn, the stats show we need some luck. We'll see....

***********************************************************************

Whilst I don't want to start going back over what happened last season, I did come up with quite interesting thought over the summer - People don't recognise how important Bacary Sagna getting injured was in our failure to win the league and Champions League.

In the league game against Chelsea after he went off injured, the defensive re-shuffle didn't work, and whilst they were still adjusting Drogba equalised.

In the Champions League, much though I still contest the penalty which Liverpool were awarded, I would think Sagna would have made the tackle much before Touré eventually did. He really is a key player for us now.

1 comment:

Shan said...

Lol you did this because of me x nice post