Saturday, 26 September 2009

Liege, Wigan, West Brom - three wins from three.

Listen!

I wrote this a few days ago and forgot to post it - apologies...Fulham match report to follow.

Considering how some other websites *cough* Myles Palmer *cough* insist on finding the negatives even in victory, I think it's best to look at the last three games as a success.

I should apologise for the long-term lack of blog: I've had huge amounts of work recently and I'm only getting a chance to write this now because I'm down with the 'flu.

As it's been a week and a half since the Liege game and almost a week since Wigan, I'm not going to write match reports on any of these games - I think we all know what happened.

But what I will say about Liege is a couple of things. Firstly, it undermined Platini's plans to bring more countries into the Champions League (as in straight into the Group Stage). In terms of Europe's leagues, Belgium would probably rank about 8th in strength. Yet, away from home Arsenal could afford to give Liege a two-goal start and still win. So when the Macedonian champions (or whoever) come straight into the Champions League it will weaken it further. Surely a continental competition should include the best teams from the continent, rather than just having teams from across the continent.

The most notable thing about the Liege game, though, was how the media tried to have their cake and eat it. On Saturday, we were criticised for playing well and not winning. On the Tuesday night we were chastised for a poor performance. I thought the hallmark of champions was winning when you don't play well.

Wigan was an example of how all League games should go - more of that please. Vermaelen does seem to be settling in exceptionally well.

And then to West Brom. I felt it was very even for 65 minutes and we only won because they got tired, having had to play with ten men since the half hour mark. Wilshere made a lot of it, but Thomas was asking to get sent off by putting his hand in his face. It was basically two moments of inspiration which brought about the goals, although a word for Wojciech Szcezny - pre-match I was critical of him. Yet he really played well. I am, on this occasion, happy to be corrected.

So all in all, three wins from three. We said we needed a positive response from Man City: it looks like we've got it.

Keep the faith,
Adam